The Top Peyton Manning Quotes to use in ANY interview
(And yes, I did interviewing for residency programs!)
In honor of Peyton Manning’s jersey retirement and statue unveiling this past weekend in Indy.
There’s two things you need to know about me relating to this post:
1) I’m a diehard Peyton Manning fan. I’ll always be a Colts fan 1st, but I watched dang near every Bronco’s game as well when he was there. I just think the guy has it figured out, both on and off the football field. He may not be the best at any one physical thing, but he will unquestionably out work you – something I’ve always respected in people. And off the field, he’s had some memorial quotes throughout the years that I think are fairly inspirational.
2) I think I have a decent sense of humor and happened to interview for residency at University of Tennessee, which is Manning’s alma mater. This resulted in me purposely planning to include a direct PM quote in my interview, which I managed to do (and I think my interviewers found pretty funny). The interview went so well, that one of my “rehersed” answers for common interview questions from then on included the same quote/answer.
So how did I end up working a Peyton Manny quote into my interview answer? The question was something along the lines of “Anesthesia can be at times a very high pressure specialty, how do you deal with pressure and high stress situations?”
My answer: Being from Indianapolis, I’m a big Peyton Manning fan, and he once said ‘Pressure is what you feel when you don’t know what the hell you are doing.’ That has always stuck with me, and I find much like he suggested, that pressure is best dealt with by simply knowing what you are doing. That takes the drive and work ethic to want to prepare ahead of time, to learn more, and always strive to better your clinical skills – so that when you get into a tough situation – your training takes over and the pressure of that moment isn’t suffocating – because you have confidence in what you know and what you’ve learned.”
I had several other quotes memorized for that interview to work in if different questions presented, but the above was the first I could sneak in. So without further adu, below are the top Peyton Manning quotes that I think would make great pieces of an interview answer..
[Brackets indicate changes to the quote to generalize away from football]
If the interviewer asks any question on preparation or work ethic…
- “There are other [people] who were more talented, but there is no one who could out-prepare me.”
- “One thing that can never be sacrificed is your preparation and your work ethic.”
Question on leadership..
- “Anyone who waits for someone else to make a change automatically becomes the follower.”
Any question that ends up on how one handles adversity or pressure…
- “Pressure is something you feel when you don’t know what the hell you’re doing.”
Question on reputation, character..
- “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.”
Question on working with other students, attendings, teachers, etc…
- “Don’t ever think, no matter how old you are, that you don’t need to be coached.”
Then the greatest Peyton F. Manning quote of all time.. when asked why the Colts should draft him #1 in the 1998 draft:
- “If you pick me, I guarantee you that we will win a championship and we’ll have a great program here. But if you don’t, I promise I’ll come back and kick your ass”
Work that one into an interview about why they should select you and I’ll be really impressed!
Are you a healthcare professional or first responder with a love life that is DOA? LoveStat was created with you in mind, to help you resuscitate your love life! We at LoveStat have seen both in our personal lives and the lives of many friends and colleagues over the years, that relationships between service professionals work, and work well! Who better to meet than those like you who understand how both grueling and rewarding your work days can be! How when you leave work, you leave a little piece of yourself behind. And why even after a really bad day, you get up, put a smile on your face and go do it all over again!
Check out our brand new app, loaded with both Basic Love Support and Advanced Love Support features, available in the App Store and visit us at lovestat.com!